Herbal lore has it that during an outbreak of the plague in France, a large number of grave robberies took place. At a time where the infection was rapidly spreading, people were baffled that others were stealing from the graves of those who died from the plague, without contacting the deadly disease themselves. As such, the robberies continued successfully throughout the epidemic.
It is said that eventually, four thieves were caught and arrested for their ungodly actions and when interrogated on how they avoided the fatal infection despite being exposed to the plague, they responded with a variation of this recipe.
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender (Lavandula) flowers
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary (Salvia rosmarinus) leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried sage (Salvia officinalis) leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme (Thymus vulgaris) leaves
- 4 tablespoons dried astragalus root (Astragalus propinquus)
- 3 cloves (Syzygium aromaticum)
- Apple cider vinegar
Four Thieves Vinegar Recipe
- Fill a quart jar with the herbs.
- Fill the jar with the apple cider vinegar and cover with a plastic lid or put plastic between the jar and a metal lid. (Vinegar will corrode the metal.)
- Let this steep for 3 to 4 weeks. Strain.
- This will keep indefinitely. Discard after a year and make a new batch.
- To use: Use 1 to 2 tablespoons a day to prevent illness. Use a 1 teaspoon every half hour if you feel like you are getting sick.
*This recipe is adapted from Rosalee de la Foret