Rich with antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties, Fire Cider is a traditional home remedy that combines herbs and spices with vinegar and honey to create a warming and immune boosting elixir.
There are many variations on the theme and it often comes down to what I have available at the time I decide to prepare the mixture, as to what I chose to use. I do try to use as many fresh herbs and spices as possible as well as try to allow the mixture to brew for as long as possible before steeping. This ensures the most potent and vibrant remedy!
This elixir, taken as a daily shot helps not only warm the body during the colder months, but may also help in prevention during cold and flu season. Enjoy!
- large onion, chopped
- 3 heads garlic, chopped
- ½ cup fresh ginger root, grated
- ½ cup fresh turmeric root, grated
- ¼ cup fresh horseradish root, grated
- ¼ cup fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- A few jalapeño peppers
- Local raw honey to taste
- Raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
Fire Cider Recipe
- Place all ingredients except honey in a half-gallon jar, and cover with apple cider vinegar. Be sure to cover the herbs by at least few inches, then cut a square of parchment or wax paper and cover the jar before tightly capping it.
- Store in a warm place for a few weeks, shaking the jar daily.
- After three weeks, strain out the herbs from the liquid.
- Add warmed raw honey to taste ,about 1/3 cup mix thoroughly, and bottle.
- Sip a shot glass a day